GPD XD Plus - Updating CleanROM
By using any file or guide offered here you are agreeing to the Site Disclaimer.
You must have CleanROM already installed to use this guide. If you do not have CleanROM already installed you can use this guide to help you install it: GPD XD Plus - Ultimate Noob Guide
So you have CleanROM installed and you need to update. The good news is you no longer need a pc to do it. You can update right from inside your GPD XD Plus. Follow this guide and update CleanROM to take full advantage of the hard work that went into programming it.
These instructions use only the GPD XD Plus. I repeat NO PC is needed! Yay!
- [ Video Time 1:05 ] - Get the latest CleanROM ( TWRP Version ) from here: CleanROM - GPD XD Plus Firmware ( ROM )
- [ Video Time 1:38 ] - Get the latest Magisk.zip here : Magisk GitHub Download Page ( Do not get MagiskManager.zip )
These files should download to the default location "/downloads".
- [ Video Time 2:13 ] - Press and hold POWER button until you see the power menu, then let it go.
- [ Video Time 2:15 ] - Tap on Reboot to recovery.
- [ Video Time 2:20 ] - Tap on OK.
- [ Video Time 2:33 ] - Once TWRP loads,select Install.
- [ Video Time 2:38 ] - Navigate and select CleanROM.zip
- If you followed the video and did as I did, go to next step [ Video Time 2:47 ]
- If you put the file on yourMicroSD Card:
- Tap on Select Storage
- Select Micro SD Card
- Then select CleanROM.zip from there
- Go to step [ Video Time 2:57 ]
- [ Video Time 2:47 ] - Tap on Download.
- [ Video Time 2:51 ] - Tap on CleanROM.zip. ( Whatever version you are updating to )
- [ Video Time 2:57 ] - Swipe to confirm flash and prepare to wait and wait.
- [ Video Time 4:23 ] - Once you see ... done, tap on Reboot system.
- [ Video Time 4:52 ] - Press and hold POWER button until you see the power menu, then let it go.
- [ Video Time 4:54 ] - Tap on Reboot to recovery.
- [ Video Time 4:56 ] - Tap on OK.
When you update CleanROM you are installing files and replacing some files that may have been used by Magisk. So you are basically deleting Magisk and you will have to reinstall it.
This is the same process as updating CleanROM. You are flashing a zip using TWRP. Repeat the process but use the Magisk.zip instead of the CleanROM.zip. You can also change your boot animation using the same process by using the bootanimation.zip.
- [ Video Time 5:10 ] - Once TWRP loads,select Install.
- [ Video Time 5:12 ] - You should be right where the files are - Navigate and select Magisk.zip ( Whatever version you are using )
- [ Video Time 5:15 ] - Swipe to confirm flash.
- [ Video Time 5:22 ] - Once you see ... done, tap on Reboot system.
- You are done. Enjoy!
This means you are on an older version of CleanROM and the reboot option was not implemented yet. You will have to reboot to recovery manually.
To reboot to recovery (TWRP) manually you:
- Make sure your GPD XD Plus is powered off completely.
- Press and hold the Power button on the GPD XD Plus.
- Then press and hold the Vol+ button so that you have Power and Vol+ pressed down at the same time.
- When you see the LED blink and get bright, let go of the Power button.
- When you see the Select Boot Mode appear, let go of Vol+.
- Tap Vol+ until you have selected: [ Recovery Mode ].
- Press Vol-
- TWRP will load and you can now proceed with guide.
This means you are on an older version of TWRP and the option to read from the MicroSD card was not implemented yet. You will have to update TWRP.
To update TWRP:
- Power up your GPD XD Plus and download this file : TWRP Update Zip
- Reboot into recovery:
- Once TWRP loads,select Install.
- Navigate and select TWRP_FlashUpdate.zip.
- Swipe to confirm flash.
- Once you see ... done, tap on Reboot system.
- Continue the guide where you left off.